Katy Perry “Prism” (Deluxe Version) [iTunes+] | Japanese Bonus
Is the world ready for this? The multi-platinum selling artist, the “Teenage Dream” star, the one and only Katy Perry is ready to impact the world with her highly-awaited third major studio album (and fourth overall) entitled “Prism” that’s scheduled for release on digital retailers on October 22 via EMI Music and Capitol Records. The first single is called ”Roar” and was released in August 12.
The singer met with Canadian multiple Grammy nominated producer Greg Wells and American musician, songwriter and actress Bonnie McKee to record some tracks for the album. Wells was responsible for the production on the tracks: “Not like the Movies” and “Pearl” (included on “Teenage Dream”) plus “Waking Up in Vegas“, “Ur So Gay“, “Mannequin” and “Fingerprints” (included on “One of the Boys“). Meanwhile, McKee is responsible for co-writing the biggest hits of the artist to date including “California Girls“, “Teenage Dream” and “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)“, all part of her second album.
On April 18, 2013 during American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers (ASCAP) expo the singer explained some details of upcoming record. She confirmed new track co-written with Sia entitled “Double Rainbow“. Perry said: “My lyrics always come from a personal place, but I also want them to be relatable. It’s like a black box where I keep my secrets“.
The album cover was revealed on Good Morning America on the Times Square jumbotrons on Friday September 6 and it was shot by Ryan McGinley. The day before, was the album listening party for press. During the 2013 iTunes Music Festival (September 30th), Perry premiered live for the first time the track “By the Grace of God“, co-written in collaboration with Greg Wells.
- “Roar” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
- “Legendary Lovers” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
- “Birthday” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
- “Walking On Air” | Katy Perry, Klas Åhlund, Max Martin, Adam Baptiste, Camela Leierth
- “Unconditionally” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Henry Walter
- “Dark Horse” (feat. Juicy J) | Katy Perry, Jordan Houston, Lukasz Gottwald, Sarah Hudson, Max Martin, Henry Walter
- “This Is How We Do” | Katy Perry, Klas Åhlund, Max Martin
- “International Smile” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Henry Walter
- “Ghost” | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
- “Love Me” | Katy Perry, Max Martin, Christian Karlsson, Vincent Pontare, Magnus Lidehäll
- “This Moment” | Katy Perry, Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Benjamin Levin
- “Double Rainbow” | Katy Perry, Sia Furler, Greg Kurstin
- “By the Grace of God” | Katy Perry, Greg Wells
- “Spiritual” | Katy Perry, John Mayer, Greg Kurstin
- “It Takes Two” | Katy Perry, Emeli Sandé, Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Benjamin Levin
- “Choose Your Battles” | Katy Perry, Jonatha Brooke, Greg Wells
- “Roar” (Cazzette Remix) | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
- “Roar” (Instrumental) | Katy Perry, Lukasz Gottwald, Max Martin, Bonnie McKee, Henry Walter
Ultimate Music Review [ 7 / 10 ]
- “Roar“ At this point, we all know the first official growl from the album. Although the similarities with “Brave” by Sara Bareilles are more than obvious, the pop world has so much love for Katy that the song has also achieved the expected success, although it’s not, even remotely, of her best songs. An infallible pop production written by McKee and signed by the dream team, the geniuses of pop music, Luke, Martin and Walter. A catchy grower that will still roar, for sure, for several months. [ Watch the music video ]
- “Legendary Lovers“ When Katy assured us that her new album would be more “darker“, we didn’t understand very well what she was saying. After hearing the second song of the album, it’s obvious, the singer moves away from the extremely commercial pop sound, and flirts with alternative sounds and near to indie pop. Although the song is written and produced by those who did “Roar“, this production has a touch sound that reminds me of Lykke Li. Majestic and legendary, mysterious and mystical, where we can verify that Perry fits perfectly well in this genre. A wise move.
- “Birthday“ With an aftertaste to the sound of her latest album “Teenage Dream“, the song could be the second part of the hit single “Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)“. The pop dream team strikes again, and move Katy to her music terrain, the best she knows how to defend. Pure pop. With influence of 80′s disco music, the singer launches an easy song, no hassle, and you fall in love with it from the very first listen. In addition, the singer adds the sensual ”Happy Birthday” spoken part, as a sign that she has given us something good to celebrate. Cheers!
- “Walking on Air“ The second promotional single sponsored by Pepsi, we left a good impression with the first preview. The song set back to Katy in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by disco balls and amaze everyone by the reflection of the flashes. A catchy disco production produced by the Swedish genius, Klas Åhlund. Impossible not to hook up with it after hearing the really first intro “Tonight, to-to-night, to-to-night, I’m walking on air“. A breath of fresh air, walking to success! [ Listen the promotional single ]
- “Unconditionally“ Confirmed as the second single from the album. Perry goes again to her usual production “success” team to present the first up-tempo ballad included on the album, where Katy shows her feelings, emotional and sensitive way to project her voice to conquer and thrill you with an excellent pop production that leaves very very clear that there are no conditions of any kind, don’t look, don’t try, don’t exist, because she would loves you unconditionally. Is it made clear?
- “Dark Horse” (feat. Juicy J) The Pepsi contest winner was released as the first promotional single from the album. A great surprise. If previously we had seen her attempt to get a more alternative sound, the singer returned to experiment now with a much more urban sound and close to Hip-Hop. An amazing production also under the supervision of Luke, Martin and Walter. Halfway between “Supernatural” by Ke$ha and a production made by Mike WiLL Made-It, the song engages with its excellent and addictive instrumental base, and a devastating chorus, “Are you ready for? Ready for? A perfect storm! Perfect storm!“. When she says in the song “It’s a yes or a no? No maybe“, In this case the dark horse has definitely won the race. [ Listen the promotional single ]
- “This Is How We Do“ The Swede Klas Åhlund strikes again, Katy returns to the dance floor for dancing, although it’s not exactly her thing, with a curious and fun pop/funky production. Highly catchy and easy to listen from the first listen, the song will captivate you thanks to its excellent chorus “This is how we do, yeah, chilling, laid back, straight stuntin ‘and we do it like that, this is how we do, do do, this is how we do” and a repetitive beat. Damn, I can’t get it out of your head! That’s what Katy Perry and her team do, do do! In addition, Katy solidarity with the American pop duo Karmin and uses the classic “Bring the beat back” at the end of the song. Yes! Buy “Acapella” on iTunes.
- “International Smile“ If you want more rhythm, keep calm and Katy Perry. She’s back on the dance floor, showing that the darkness in this album, conspicuous by its absence. The song is also produced by her dream team (what do you expect?) and it’s a hymn to geography. Prism light, in the world map, mark the places where the singer wants to see smiles. Tokyo, Mexico and Rio de Janeiro join the classic LA, Miami and New York City. We assume that we already have the first 6 cities confirmed for her new tour and one way ticket. Anyway, the singer sings in French emulating the great Lady Gaga in “Bad Romance“, with an intriguing phrase “She’s got that, je ne sais quoi, you know it“. Language which none of these cities is the official. But we don’t care, the pop song is addictive and this is important thing. Waiting for their next album / reissue and she finally sing something in Spanish. HA!
- “Ghost“ After a first part quite vital, along with Bonnie McKee launch this intimate song. A production that perfectly fit to be sung by Ke$ha, who has sex with ghosts and knows about it. Spiritually flat and quite boring, the song shows again an emotional Katy, though it reminds me of “Pearl“, included in her previous album “Teenage Dream“. Nothing remarkable. Like a ghost, no one will notice its existence in this album.
- “Love Me“ We continue with the calm, a convincing song, a clear statement of intent. Force, secure and decisive, Katy sings about love and becomes “Miss Movin’ On“. Gently rounded and effective production signed by Max Martin, shows that force must have to move forward. I think it’s a song that many people will be identified, and is appreciated. Even if you have lost someone, we love you Katy! Don’t worry, it’s their loss, not yours!
- “This Moment” A production signed by hitmakers Mikkel Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen (Stargate) and Benjamin Levin. With a so-Swedish start, reminds me of “Dancing On My Own” by Robyn, the song continues into a beautiful and intimate pop production. Forcefulness and energy, at this moment, Katy knows what we like, know what you want to hear and that it offers. Easy listening and beautiful lyrics. “All info we have is this moment. Tomorrow’s unspoken. Yesterday is history“. Remember, to quote our beloved Christina Aguilera “I just wanna feel this moment” SAY! SAY!
- “Double Rainbow“ This is the expected song co-written by the omnipresent Sia Fuler and with a majestic production signed by Greg Kurstin. The result is pretty decent, a delicate and mysterious song that will wrap into a musical atmosphere and you will do as you’re walking on the air, watching the strange meteorological phenomenon which is a double rainbow. The song has many numbers to be a future single perhaps the last taken from the album, as it was “The One That Got Away“.
- “By the Grace of God“ She performed the song on September 30 at the iTunes Festival and left us all speechless. It was written by herself and produced by Greg Wells and it’s undoubtedly one of the most beautiful productions of the album. Katy shows naked in front of us, honest and fragile and, the best part, emotion in the singing. This is where we can hear for the first time the real Katy, Katheryn Hudson, real name of the artist, made clear where she comes from, and her religious beliefs. The song sung live in piano liked them all, perhaps that for many fans, the studio version is a little over-produced. In my opinion, the song is perfect in every way.
- “Spiritual“ This song was co-written with her ex-boyfriend John Mayer and produced by Greg Wells. Simple, and intimate, is without doubt one of the most majestic songs of the album, with a clear spiritual intensity, the production makes you float like a spirit. Mysterious and volatile, will wrap from the first listen as a spirit attempts you grab your soul. Less commercial, more alternative. Raise, Katy, raise!
- “It Takes Two” A song co-written by Scottish singer-songwriter Emeli Sandé and produced by Stargate and Benjamin Levin. We continue with the calm and intimate songs. It’s an anthem from start to finish with a perfect piano instrumental base, an impressive lyrics, and Katy demonstrating, once again, good vocal quality. We can’t ask for more, it’s excellent since the first listen, without doubt, another great song to her discography. Hats off, Katy Perry!
- “Choose Your Battles“ The singer has decided to close the album with another production signed by Greg Wells. A fairly flat track but easy to listen and pretty effective with a good instrumental base, making it clear that there are two distinct parts in the album, a more lively/rhythmic at first, and a more calm/personal at the end. Like a prism, light enters and leaves projected on a rainbow. This song closes another episode in the history of pop music and makes “Prism” as a solid and remarkable pop album. Great result, assured success!