Queen of Pop, the one and only Madonna is almost ready to destroy again the pop world with her awaited come back to the music scene.
The singer started the hype with her “Unapologetic Bitch” campaign, Yes! I know, Rihanna and her f*cking impact. Apparently, the title could be a track from her upcoming LP and it’s inspired by punk, leather, studs and S&M. Rihanna again.
According Billboard, this is Madonna’s most amibitious project in over a decade. So… we should be excited.
The rumored first single is the track “Living for Love/Carry On” and it will be the first taste of her upcoming thirteenth studio album, rumored to be called “Iconic“.
The track was written by Madonna with Diplo, MoZella, Ariel Rechtstaid, Toby Gad and Nick Rowe, including background vocals by London Gospel Community Choir and Alicia Keys on the piano. The deephouse influenced theme is highly-inspired by Kiesza’s smash “Hideaway”
Madonna worked so hard in this upcoming album with producers like Disclosure or Diplo. Los Angeles-based producer confirmed new song title “Bitch, I’m Madonna“. He said:
I met Madonna because of her kids and then she invited me to a party. We ended up writing seven songs together. I do not usually feel pressured to write hits, but when it’s an artist of this caliber, it’s obvious that I want to push the boundaries a little bit further and surpass myself. One of the songs we wrote is very cool and is called “Bitch, I’m Madonna”
On July 1st, Madonna hinted another new track called “Messiah” on her Instagram account. British tabloid The Sun, confirmed the name of two new tracks “Heartbreak City” and “Two Steps Behind“, both produced by Swedish deejay Avicii.
About the tracks: “Heartbreak City” allegedly slams Guy Ritchie for “getting what [he] came for, a bit of fame and fortune, and I’m no longer needed,” and that the song “Two Steps Behind Me” supposedly slams Lady Gaga with the following “You’re a copycat, where is my royalty?“. The track isn’t directed towards Lady Gaga, but to all younger artists trying to steal Madonna’s recipe. Even though Madonna had fun writing and recording this track, there’s a big possibility that it won’t be included on the album.
The original demos with Avicii have a great concept and it’s everything you can expect from a Madonna album. It’s smart, mature and rich, but it lacks the real radio hits. Madonna’s work with Diplo is more trap/electro pop. Some of these tracks are a better fit for radio play, although they can sound a little immature at times.
The Toby/Mozella/S1 collaboration has some truly great songs, in constrast to the sessions with Natalia Kills and Martin Kierszenbaum which aren’t particularly interesting. Another two producers were confirmed to be included on the album, DJ Dahi and Blood Diamonds, who recently worked with Grimes in her latest single “Go“.
Madonna confirmed some new details on her instagram account on September 23rd. The track “Rebel Heart” was produced by Magnus Lidehäll, and she also confirmed collaboration with Nicki Minaj in the upcoming song “Unapologetic Bitch“, produced by Diplo.
The demo versions of the tracks “Rebel Heart” and “Wash All Over Me” surfaced online on November 28th.
During an interview on the Australian TV show “The Riff” on Channel V, to promote the Stereosonic Music Festival, Diplo talked Madonna and he said that the first single will come out early next year. He added that the track, produced by him, is the notorious song with a reggae/dancehall vibe.
Madonna is also working with Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic. In an interview with The Mirror, Tedder described the upcoming work as “her best stuff in over a decade – it’s really strong”. That’s some pretty high praise, considering her back catalog! “The tracks I’ve done with her are really hard to explain“.
On December 17th, 13 alleged unfinished demos from the album surfaced online under the label “Iconic“, which is rumored to be the album’s title. Madonna has spoken on Instagram:
Thank you for not listening! Thank you for your loyalty! Thank you for waiting and if you have heard please know they are unfinished demos stolen long ago and not ready to be presented to the world
Right after she added another photo on Instagram:
This is artistic rape!! These are early leaked demo’s half of which wont even make it on my album the other half have changed and evolved. This is a form of terrorism. Wtf!!!! Why do people want to destroy artistic process??? Why steal? Why not give me the opportunity to finish and give you my very best?
Review of the tracks:
- Addicted/The One That Got Away: smooth melody, old school Madonna, little arrangements, and primarily focused on her voice. Acoustic guitar and classic Madonna style with a electropop breakdown.
- Bitch I’m Madonna: “You gonna love this, You can’t touch this, cuz I’m a bad bitch” Sassy electro-reggae infused track, her voice is a little bit overproduced and it sounds like a Teenage pop star. Catchy and repetitive based on “Bitch, I’m Madonna, Bitch Bitch, I’m Madonna“. No chorus defined.
- Borrowed Time: Avicii, using the same melody or very similar to his latest single “The Days“. Once again, focused on her voice and little arrangements, good one.
- Heartbreak City: Piano ballad, again focused only in a smooth melody and Madonna’s voice. That’s all.
- Illuminati: Experimental electro-pop track with acoustic guitar part and Madonna is also rapping on this. It seems Diplo made this one. “It’s like everybody in this party is shining like an illuminati“
- Joan of Arc: A beautiful smooth pop ballad, intense and delicate. Madonna shows hardly sincere without arrangements, she and an acoustic guitar. “But i’m not Joan of Arc, no yet, but i’m in the dark, oh yeah“
- Living for Love/Carry On: Smooth pop with old-schoold deep house touches. Pretty good and one again, no arrangements in her voice.
- Make the Devil Pray: Celtic-influenced intro, and another acoustic guitar track. Smooth melody and once again Madonna showing vocal talent. “and make the devil pray… uuuuh uuuh sing Halleluyah, sing my soul“
- Messiah: smooth melody, once again Madonna without arrangements, only her voice and a subtle instrumental base. A little boring.
- Rebel Heart: leaked before and quite good. Acoustic guitar and another Avicii-infused track reminds to his latest track “The Days“.
- Revolution: Smooth folk rock-influenced intro and later once again acoustic guitar.
- Unapologetic Bitch: Electronic track, pretty cool and a little bit inspired by reggae music. Good one Diplo.
- Wash All Over Me: Previously leaked and pretty promising track. It reminds “Good Girl Gone Wild” a little bit, Aivicii made a good job in it.
- Autotune Baby
- Unapologetic Bitch (feat. Nicki Minaj) | Madonna Ciccone, Thomas Wesley Pentz, Sophie, Onika Maraj
- Hot Tight | Madonna Ciccone, Thomas Wesley Pentz
- Rebel Heart | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling, Magnus Lidehäll
- Borrowed Time | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
- Art of Freedom
- Illuminati | Madonna Ciccone, Thomas Wesley Pentz
- Holy Water | Madonna Ciccone, Natalia Kills, Martin Kierszenbaum
- Trust No Bitch | Madonna Ciccone, Natalia Kills, Martin Kierszenbaum
- Score | Madonna Ciccone, Natalia Kills, Martin Kierszenbaum
- Eye Wide Open
- Body Shop | Madonna Ciccone, S1, Toby Gad, Maureen McDonald
- Iconic | Madonna Ciccone, S1, Toby Gad, Maureen McDonald
- Inside Out
- Bitch, I’m Madonna | Madonna Ciccone, Thomas Wesley Pentz
- Messiah | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
- Living for Love/Carry On | Madonna Ciccone, Thomas Wesley Pentz, Alicia Keys, MoZella, Ariel Rechtstaid, Toby Gad, Nick Rowe
- Heartbreak City | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
- Two Steps Behind | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
- Wash All Over Me | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
- Joan of Arc | Madonna Ciccone, S1, Toby Gad, Maureen McDonald
- Veni vedi vici
- Make the Devil Pray
- Addicted/The One That Got Away | Madonna Ciccone, Tim Bergling
Support Madonna on iTunes (BUY)